The #2 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team will officially begin its 2017-18 season with a trip to the Dakota Wesleyan Open on Nov. 11 in Mitchell, S.D.
This tournament will feature many of the region’s top collegiate wrestlers competing in an open tournament format. Fans can follow the action at the DWU Open through TrackWrestling.com.
SCSU WRESTLING HEADLINERS:
- The Huskies earned the #2 ranking in this year’s NCAA DII preseason poll.
- Individually, SCSU had six wrestlers ranked in the top 12 in this year’s NCAA DII preseason poll. These athletes included Brett Velasquez (#2 at 125), Jarred Oftedahl (#7 at 141), James Pleski (#1 at 149), Larry Bomstad (#1 at 157, Tyree Overton (#12 at 174) and Vince Dietz (#9 at 197).
- The Huskies also gained the #1 ranking in this year’s NSIC preseason poll. SCSU has won six consecutive NSIC championships and has charted a 47-0 dual meet record in NSIC competition over the past six seasons. The Huskies have not lost an NSIC dual match since a loss to Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011.
- SCSU opened the year with the annual Black/Red Classic on Nov. 2 in Halenbeck Hall. This intrasquad scrimmage featured honorary coaches Matt Jackson and Tom Messeli – two former SCSU wrestlers. Team Black scored a 28-6 victory in the match. The match serves as another opportunity for the SCSU coaches to access talent for the upcoming 2017-18 campaign.
- SCSU will host the annual Huskies Open in Halenbeck Hall on Dec. 9. This event attracts many of the top collegiate wrestlers from the region and it is held in the SCSU Halenbeck Hall Fieldhouse. Tickets are available at the gate on the day of the tournament.
- The Huskies are also in line to host the 2018 NCAA Division II Super 3 Region tournament on Feb. 23-24 in Halenbeck Hall’s main gymnasium.
- SCSU placed second at the NCAA DII championships last year and also claimed first place finishes at the 2017 NCAA Division II Super 3 Regional and the 2017 NWCA Division II National Duals championships. SCSU was 17-1 in overall competition and won the NSIC crown with an 8-0 record.
- SCSU brings back three All-Americans to its roster in 2017-18. This trio includes Brett Velasquez (3rd at 125 in 2017), James Pleski (4th at 149 in 2017) and Larry Bomstad (3rd at 157 in 2017).
- Velasquez was 25-3 in 2016-17 and was first at 125-pounds at the 2017 regional tournament. He also gained CoSIDA Academic All-America status in 2017-18. In 2016, Velasquez won top honors for the Huskies at the NCAA DII championships at 125.
- Bomstad was 24-4 last season and placed second at the regional at 157. He also earned All-America status for SCSU in 2015.
- The NSIC Rookie of the Year in 2017, Pleski was 28-10 last winter. He placed third at the NCAA regional last year at 149-pounds and qualified for his first NCAA tournament in 2017.
- SCSU Coach Steve Costanzo will begin his 12th season with the Huskies in 2017-18 and he currently owns a 169-28 overall dual record during his tenure in St. Cloud. SCSU has only lost seven dual matches under Costanzo’s watch since the 2010-11 season.
View More College News
Click Here: cheap INTERNATIONAL jersey