MARSHALL, Minn.- Southwest Minnesota State will open its dual season on Thursday night as the Mustangs travel to face St. Cloud State beginning at 7 p.m.
SMSU finished the 2016-17 season with an 8-13 overall record and a 3-5 NSIC record. The Mustangs faced their first competition of the year as individuals last weekend in the Dakota Wesleyan Open on Saturday.
Listen to the match on the KVSC Sports Stream with SCSU’s John O. Peterson on the call. Follow live results/stats on TrackWrestling.com.
LAST TIME OUT:
- Andrew Petersen finished in second place at 285 in the Dakota Wesleyan Open on Saturday, Nov. 11
- Petersen lost by decision to Lawrence Phillips of St. Cloud State in the first place match at 285, earning 14.00 total team points for the Mustangs with a 3-1 record at the DWU Open
- Cole Hennen finished in fifth place at 197 with a win by medical forfeit over Chandler Knight of Doane College in the fifth-place match and a 4-2 record on the day at the DWU Open
- Trent Butcher went 3-2 in the DWU Open at 141
- Cortez Arredondo earned a team-high 14.50 points for SMSU wrestling at 149 and finished the day 5-1 overall
- Robert Shields also wrestled at 149 on Saturday and went 2-2 on the day
- Taylor Curtis went 3-2 and advanced to the fifth consolation round at 125
- Justin Haneke had two pins and finished with a 3-2 record at 157
- Kegen Fingalsen had one pin and finished with a 3-2 record at 165
- Dru Kuchenbaker had two major decisions and one tech fall, finishing with a 3-2 record at 174
- Jack Ryan had two pins and finished with a 3-2 record at 197
- Hennen and Ben Thompson both finished the day with a 4-2 record at 197
ABOUT ST. CLOUD STATE: The Huskies have won six consecutive league titles dating back to the 2011-12 season under Head Coach, Steve Costanzo. Costanzo has a 169-28 overall record at SCSU in his 12 seasons at the helm. Lawrence Phillips has a perfect 10-0 record for SCSU. Jarred Oftedahl (7-0), Larry Bomstad (5-0), and Brett Velasquez (4-0) also have perfect records so far this season. The 2016-17 Huskies’ team finished second at the NCAA DII national championships and there are four returning national qualifiers in 2017-18.
ST. CLOUD STATE SERIES HISTORY: SMSU is 13-32-1 all-time in dual matches against St. Cloud State. St. Cloud State has won 11 straight dating back to the 2006-07 season. SCSU won last seasons match, 36-3 in Marshall. The Mustangs last win was a 24-18 victory in 2005-06.
HEAD COACH: Jesse Nelson is in his 11th season as head coach at Southwest Minnesota State in 2017-18. Nelson was named the fourth coach in the program history on Aug. 22, 2007. The 2013-14 NSIC Coach of the Year, Nelson has a career dual record of 74-79-1, including 28-44 in conference matches during his 10 seasons. During his tenure, Nelson has groomed 19 national qualifiers, including three two-time qualifiers and three three-time qualifiers, along with 11 All-NSIC honorees.
SMSU PROBABLE LINEUP:
– 125: Taylor Curtis
– 133: Brock Buysse
– 141: Trent Butcher
– 149: Cortez Arredondo
– 157: Justin Haneke
– 165: Nick Esping
– 174: Cody Heitman
– 184: Cole Hennen
Click Here: Atlanta United FC Jersey – 197: Jack Ryan
– 285: Andy Petersen
SCSU PROBABLE LINEUP:
– 125: Brett Velasquez
– 133: Adam Hedin
– 141: Jarred Oftedahl
– 149: James Pleski
– 157: Larry Bomstad
– 165: Travis Holt
– 174: Kolton Eischens
– 184: Austin Rake
– 197: Vince Dietz
– 285: Lawrence Phillips
View More College News